The VAT exemptions on business travel in Denmark, brought into effect on January 1st 2015, ensure significantly lower costs by deducting the following from your business events in Denmark:
- Full VAT amount for accommodation
- Full VAT amount for renting of rooms
- Full VAT amount for renting of, for example, AV equipment or other services
- 25% of the VAT amount for meals, including breakfast
- For congress and conference organisers, price is still a key factor when choosing a destination for major events. With the new VAT exemption brought into effect, international customers are immediately able to save another 6.25 per cent of the cost on overnight stays in Denmark, bringing Denmark even closer to its competitors’ prices, and hopefully attracting even more international congresses and conferences and more hotel guests to the most MINDblowing Meeting destination in northern Europe, says Steen Møller, Head of VisitDenmark's Business Events Team.
Previously, 75 per cent was deducted from VAT for hotel stays in Denmark, so with a full 100 per cent VAT exemption, the Danish Government expects to see a positive impact on the Danish meetings industry, particularly a rise in overnight stays and employment. Members of the meetings industry support the initiative as it will strengthen Denmark's position in the global meetings industry.
Click here to get information on VAT when you as a foreign business arrange meetings etc. on behalf of customers in the EU at hotels in Denmark.
Click here to get information on VAT when you as a Danish or foreign business buy hotel accommodation, meals and course packages from hotels in Denmark.